The Psychotherapists Oath
As a psychotherapist:
- I must first do no harm.
- I will promote healing and well-being in my clients and place the clients and
publics interests above my own at all times.
- I will respect the integrity of the persons with whom I am working, and I will remain
objective in my relationships with clients and will act with integrity in dealing with
- I will provide only those services for which I have had the appropriate training and
experience and will keep my technical competency at the highest level in order to uphold
professional standards of practice.
- I will not violate the physical boundaries of the client and will always provide a safe
and trusting haven for healing.
- I will defend the profession against unjust criticism and defend colleagues against
- I will seek to improve and expand my knowledge through continuing education.
- I will refrain from any conduct that would reflect adversely upon the best interest of
The American Psychotherapy Association and its ethical standards.
] [ apa ] [ psychotherapy ] [ membership ] [ diplomate status ] [ annual meeting ] [ annals ] [ e-mail ]