To submit a manuscript for peer review:
- Check the manuscript for content and style (correct spelling, punctuation and grammar; accuracy and consistency in the citation of figures, tables, and references; stylistic uniformity of entries in the references section; etc.).Manuscripts containing numerous typos or errors will be returned to the author for revision before they are submitted for peer review.
- Ensure that all required sections of the manuscript are completed (abstract, bio, key words, learning objectives, multiple-choice questions)
- Send the manuscript, in Word format, via e-mail, or mail the manuscript, in Word format, on CD or floppy disk (labeled with identifying information) to Editor, American Psychotherapy Association, 2750 E. Sunshine, Springfield MO 65804. If necessary, accompanying materials, such as photographs, may be mailed as well.
Once received, a manuscript will be reviewed to ensure it meets the submission guidelines. It will then be sent for peer review to members of an editorial board with expertise in the author’s field. The reviewers may accept the article as-is, require changes before acceptance, or reject the paper. American Psychotherapy Association will pass on reviewer comments to the author.
Important Exclusivity Note: By submitting a manuscript to American Psychotherapy Association, an author certifies that the material has not been and will not be submitted to any other publication prior to its appearance in The Annals.
The American Psychotherapy Association is seeking well-written, organized essays for publication in the Annals of the American Psychotherapy Association.
Manuscripts must meet the following guidelines:
- Be typed and double-spaced, on one side of 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper, with one inch margins on all sides.
- Include a title page with the article title and the author’s name, degree and affiliation
- Include a one paragraph biography of the author at the beginning of the paper
- Include an article abstract of no more than 150 words
- Include a list of three to five (3-5) key words that express the precise content of the manuscript (used for indexing purposes), positioned immediately following the abstract
- Include a list of at least three (3) learning objectives covering the main points of the manuscript, positioned immediately following the key words
- Include a minimum of five (5) multiple-choice test questions that adequately cover the material highlighted in the learning objectives (used to offer continuing education credit through journal learning)
Illustrations and photos (including drawings, diagrams, and charts) must be numbered in one consecutive series of Arabic numerals. Type the captions for illustrations on a separate page. Photographs should be large, glossy prints, showing high contrasts. Identify figures on the back with author’s name and number of the illustration, if applicable. If you are e-mailing photos, please use .jpeg format, leave the picture as large as possible, and use at least 300 dpi. Attachments must be under 3 megabytes to go through our e-mail system
Tables must be numbered and referred to by number in the text. Each table should be typed on a separate page. Center the title above the table, and type explanatory footnotes (preferably indicated by super-script lowercase letters) below the table.
References and their text citations should be in the style of the American Psychological Society (American Psychotherapy Association style). For more information please see the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (Fifth Edition).